Cows, Goats Burnt As Fire Guts National Arts Theatre


At least, four cows, three goats and an office building belonging to the National Council of Arts and Culture were lost to a late-night Saturday fire that gutted the National Arts Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos State.

The Head, Public Education Unit of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Amodu Shakiru, disclosed this in a telephone conversation with Punch on Sunday.

It was gathered that a late-night gas explosion caused damage to some sections of the National Arts Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos State on Saturday.

Shakiru said, “There’s been an exploded gas cylinder resulting in a fire which the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service is managing within the National Arts Theatre.”

Meanwhile, in a follow-up conversation, the LSFRS spokesperson noted that the fire started following a gas explosion in one of the offices within the site of the incident while stressing that four cows, three goats and an office complex were destroyed by the fire.

He said, “The cause of the fire was gas explosion. About four 50kgs of gas cylinder were stored in one of the offices. Affected properties included four cows and three goats that were recovered suspected dead. An office building said to belong to the National Council of Arts and Culture located opposite the artists’ village was also razed down by the fire. Firefighters were able to contain the spread of the fire thereby preventing further danger without casualties.”

He however warned Lagos residents against storage of gas facilities inside the house as it is a volatile item that can cause fire incident.

“Our people need to understand that gas is a volatile item and should not be stored inside the house. That is why we always advise people to situate their gas cylinders outside of the building but in a situation where you want to store gas in large quantities, as it is the case with this incident, get the necessary approval from the fire service.”

Similarly, no fewer than four persons reportedly sustained varying degrees of injuries as fire gutted Fat Noble filling station, an independent marketing oil firm along the Old Road, opposite Torikoh, Badagry, Lagos State on Wednesday, December 27.

Also, several shops and goods were destroyed following a gas explosion that occurred at a market at the Council bus stop in the Ikotun area of Lagos State, last Saturday.

The current fire incident at the National Arts Theatre is the third fire incident reported in the last seven days in Lagos State.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.